1. Give a brief introduction about yourself
I was born in Madipakkam village, CheyyarTaluk, Thiruvannamalai District. I studied upto V Std in Govt School in my village school, Std.VI to X in Govt.High School, Akkur-nearby village, XI to XII in Govt.Boys Higher Secondary School, Cheyyar, and Thiruvannamalai District. I completed B.Com in 1992 and M.Com in 1994 in Arignar Anna Govt.Arts College, Cheyyar. I finished my M.Phil Degree in the Department of Commerce, at University of Madras in 1995 and passed SLET in 1997. I obtained PhD Degree from Madras University in 2015.
a) Secured Centum in X Std. Mathematics-1987-School first rank(Total marks-415/500)
b) Secured centum in Business Mathematics and Statistics in II B.Com in 1991
c) Learned Hindi through distance education and obtained a certificate from Asian Institute, Ponmeni,Madurai-1996
d) College first rank in M.Com-1994
e) Department first rank –M.Phil 1995 (Advanced Financial Management -91/100)
a) Joined as Lecturer in Commerce in GurunanakCollege,Chennai in Aug.1995
b) Joined as Lecturer in Commerce in T.S.NarayanaswamiCollege,Navalur on 04.12.2000.
c) HOD In-Charge of Commerce Department from May , 2012 to July,2015
d) HOD of Commerce Department from Aug 2015
2. Share with us about your native place and the developments you have seen from time to time
My native place is Madipakkamvillage,CheyyarTaluk,Thiruvannamalai District. It is about 100 Kms away from Chennai. I stayed in my village till the year 1995. Even though, I have settled in Chennai, I make a point to visit my native place frequently as my parents live there. It is a calm place with natural resources of big lake, paddyfields and ground nut crops in dry lands. I felt the serenity while preparing for my examinations.
Developments:Frequency of bus transport increased, to our village from Kancheepuram and Cheyyar. Almost every family has a bike, gas connection, a TV with cable connection, cell phones and toilet facilities. More than 50% of concrete houses are built and cement roads are laid. Children have started studying in English medium schools as vans are operated. People have got opportunity to work in SIPCOT, located 10 kms away from the village. The only drawback is that agriculture has reduced to 25% as the people started selling their lands.
3. Tell us about your experience as the Head of the Department of Commerce. Highlight any major achievements your department has done under your leadership?
When I became the HOD of Commerce Department in June 2012, I faced lot of challenges but it was a learning process and very interesting to work as team of twelve members including Economics, ISM staff. I devised a plan for running the department, all the academic and non-academic works were distributed among the staff members for the benefit of the students. Monitored the discipline of the students, ensured and catered the needs of the students all time.
1. Took active part in motivating students to join P.G courses in the college.
2. Conducted State Level Seminar in Feb.2014
3. Organized guest lectures and conducted workshop on the topic Banking and Insurance
4. Arranged Industrial Visits for the students.
5. Recommended students for internship training in ICL.
4. What are the other roles and responsibilities you have taken in the college?
1. Distributed college admission notices/pamphlets to students in Monahan School, Anna Adarsh School in 2002 and 2003 at the time of + 2 Exams.
2. Monitored pamphlets distribution by our students volunteers to public from Velachery to SRP Tools in 2006
3. Served as a member in almost all committees like canteen, convocation, transport, college day, calendar, etc.
4. Assistant Chief Superintendent for University examinations, May 2012.
5. Single handedly created Assets register for TSN College by physically verifying assets for almost one year in 2011-12 under the guidance of Shri.G.Balakrishnan, former college Correspondent.
6. Functional In-Charge of College office from June 2012 to July 2013.
7. In-Charge for insurance of college assets for nearly 5 years.
8. Authorized Signatory for principal Account for 2 years.
9. Member of Enquiry committee.
10. Member-Core Management Group
11. Convener-Industrial Visits committee 2014-15.
12. Convener - Parents -teachers Association 2015-16.
13. Transport Co-ordinator-2016-17.
14. NAAC-Criterion V-Co-coordinator.
15. Nodal Officer -MTC Bus passes for 3 years from 2004 to 2007.
5. You have been teaching mostly to first generation learners. What are the measures you have taken to improve the standard of their life
Most of the students are from the vernacular medium, first generation and economically poor background. As teachers it is our duty to help these students to cross the hurdles and face the challenges confidently. I would advise students to learn to speak in English and pass their exams with good percentage. Students were taught to fill general forms and applications in English. I always advise students to be disciplined and march towards their goal to place themselves in a good job or pursue higher education.
6. What are the avenues in career available for the students of Commerce with their basic UG degree?
1. Jobs in banks
2. Jobs in insurance companies
3. Jobs in shipping companies
4. Accountant job in any company/concern
5. Jobs in IT Companies
6. Income Tax consultants
7. Audit clerk
8. Own business - any product
9. Business-Exports and imports
7. Brief your experience as Table Tennis player
I enjoy playing table tennis. I took part in almost all table tennis events in TSN College. Previously I participated in tournaments organized by Gurunanak College and RKM Vivekananda College. It is a good sport and good for physical fitness.
8. Share with us about your Ph.D research topic. Do you think there is scope for doing research beyond PhD in the field of Commerce? If yes, what areas within the subject that you would suggest that warrants further research?
My Ph.D research topic is Service Quality of LIC of India (An Analytical Study of Customers’ perception with particular reference to Chennai).There is scope for research beyond Ph.D in the field of Commerce. I feel the areas of research may be like inventing ATM cards, internet banking, creating awareness on insurance among the people, etc.,
9. What are the measures you are taking to face challenges in your life?
I faced lot of challenges in my life. Confidence, courage, proper planning and faith in God will make us get rid of all problems. We get experiences from every failure.
10. Explain some of the savings and insurance plans which are beneficial to us
Everybody must have some compulsory savings and insurance policies. Bank Fixed deposits, minimum savings in mutual funds and gold jewellery are best savings in life. Everybody should spend what is left after saving.
Insurance plans - Money back plans in LIC of India
Mediclaim policy- AroghyaRaksha Policy in Indian Bank