Mrs.R.Lavanya, M.Sc, M.phil, M.Ed
Department of Mathematics
1. Tell us about your native and educational background.
I was born and brought up in Chennai. I finished my schooling at CGHSS, Saidapet, completed both UG and PG in Mathematics in D.B.Jain College Chennai, M.Phil in Madurai Kamaraj University, did B.Ed in Lady Willington College of Education and Research, Chennai and M.Ed in Annamalai University.
2. Tell us about the teacher who inspired you to take up Mathematics.
- When I was studying 10th standard, Mrs.Chandra who taught me Mathematics, initiated me to do Maths interestingly. Her methodology was simple and easy to understand.
- Mrs.Sheela Bose, who taught me "Teaching Mathematics", kindled "The Art of teaching mathematics" in me, at all levels.
3. How do you make the students interested to learn Mathematics?
Method of teaching plays a vital in stimulating the interest of the students to learn Mathematics. In other words I could say that students' based methodology to be followed, while teaching. Based on the outcome of the analysis, apply the methodology in teaching. The students are made to ask doubts freely. Remedial measures should be taken then and there.
4. Share your previous experience with us.
I started my career as a Mathematics teacher in the year 1996 at Nellai Nadar Matriculation Higher Secondary School in Kottivakkam. From 1998-2001, l served as a PG Asst. in Mathematics at Manuelmony Matriculation Hr.Sec.School, Palavakkam. I joined at Church Park A.I. TTI (Teacher Training Institute), as a Mathematics Lecturer and worked there from 2001 to 2006. I worked as a Principal in BDR TTI, Thiruthani from 2006-2009. Then I stepped into TSN College in the year 2012.
5. Why did you prefer Arts and Science College to continue your career?
As I mentioned above, I already had experience of teaching in schools and TTIs. Since I had an opportunity to experience teaching in college level, I preferred to join in Arts and Science College.
6. Tell us about your paper presentation and publication and future plans.
- I presented papers in seminars, conducted by DIET, on the topics.
I would like to do research in Mathematics and to start a school in future.
- Recent Trends in ICT
- Factors Influence School Effectiveness
7. What are the career opportunities available in the field of Mathematics?
I strongly observe that there are immense opportunities available in the fields of Mathematics. It never ends up with academic level; instead it extends its radius in almost all the fields. Some of the specific fields I would say, Actuary, Statistician, Biologist, Software Engineer, Computer Systems Analyst, Industrial Engineer, Accountant, Physicist, Meteorologist, Motion Picture Editor, Astronomer, etc.
8. Tell us about other forms of Maths like Abacus, Vedic Maths etc.
Vedic mathematics is an ancient system of calculation, which was rediscovered from the Vedas between 1911 and 1918 by Sri Bharati Krishna Tirthaji Maharaj (1884-1960). It is based on sixteen sutras or word formulae. In this system, for any problem there is always one general technique applicable to all cases. The element of choice of flexibility at each stage keeps the mind lively and alert to develop clarity of thought and intuition, which leads to a holistic development of the human brain.
Abacus is a manual counting device, used for all arithmetic operations. It helps the students to learn the basic number system and develops mental calculations. In the methodology there are some disadvantages. Since counters are manually moved, it is hard to tell, if we make a mistake. Sometimes, students may be confused for a short while by the two distinct approaches to solve a math problem.
9. If you hadn't become a teacher what profession you would have chosen?
In my family most of the members are teachers. I made up my mind at the young age itself to become a teacher. I channelized my steps towards my ambition and achieved it too.
10. What are your other interests and passion?
- Activities based on creativity
- Exploring and updating my knowledge
- Guidance and counseling
- Interested in carnatic music and dance
11. What are the techniques to be followed to do Sudoku?
Scan rows and columns within each triple-box area, eliminate numbers or squares and find situation, where a single number can fit into a single square.
* Hard puzzles require logic analysis which is done with the aid of pencil marks.
* Pencil marks are a systematic process of writing small numbers inside the squares to denote, which area may fit in.
* After pencil marking, analyze the results, identify the right combination and place it.